Thursday, August 23, 2007

Poached Pears

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone. I really appriciate it. Here is the recipe for you Kate.
I shall give credit where it is due. The recipe is from Frances Mayes in her book 'Under the Tuscan sun' Broadway books, New York. There, that should settl eall the legalities.

Dolce

Winter Pears in Vino Nobile

Peel 6 firm pears (core the bottom with a melon ball tool, and slice so the pear stands upright-my addition).
Stand the pears in a saucepan leaving the stems on.
Squeeze fresh lemon juice over each .
Pour 1 cup of red wine over them
Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar on the tops.
Add 1/4 cup currents,
vanilla bean,
and a few cloves to the wine.

Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. (Or longer - depending on the ripeness of the pears). Do not let them become too soft.

Midway, tuen pears on their sides and baste several times with wine sauce.

Transfer to shallow serving dish. (All I could find were our ramakins).
Pour wine ssauce over pears. and garnish with lemon peel. (Shoot, I forgot that part).

Another variation to the same:
3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
1-1/4 cup red wine
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extrac
10 peppercorns

Prepare pears the same and cook and serve the same.

Both ways were fabulous, I can attest to that. : )

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe; I shall try it this week-end. Love your fog photo, which I, too, used as a subject today. I guess it's the old cliche, great minds...

    ReplyDelete