Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Train Set

CP Rail
All I want for my birthday is a train set, like this. Or, I will settle for a lens; either a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS or Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Your choice to gift wrap one of the three. CP Rail may not like their engines to be given away as gifts. Which means one of the other two is a better choice. I would not turn down both. ;-)
Located in Hopkins along Excelsior Blvd near the Coffee Depot. Here we have a single image tonemapped photo. Not a multiple image HDR photo. There is much difficulty in obtaining three photos of -2, 0, and +2 exposure compensation photos of a moving train.
About a half an hour of tweaking this image to bring out the clouds in the overexposed sky. More tweaking to bring out the detailing of the wheel assembly, rails, and the accumulated dirt on the engine. I neglected to watch out for the feared halos that can occur with over processing. Note this affect above the train. I spent too much time messing around with this image so I left it be.

12 comments:

  1. I like the halo effect. Great photo, I will have to try this effect with some of my photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh perfect - every little boy's and very big boy's (!) dream. Personally I love the halo effect you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I read what effects you pursued on this shot, I thought it looked like it was taken on the cusp of a great Minneapolis thunderstorm. I still like the photo. It would be fun to see before and after shots of what you do to them. Maybe someday we could see that on one that became so splendid when you altered it?

    And regarding the Mill Ruins area shot on my blog: I have not yet been able to get to that Guthrie observation area, although I've seen it so many times, and marveled at how it sticks so far out of its wall. Gonna do it very soon though, I promise!
    58 degrees by Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. une belle photo, et surtout un superbe effet.
    A beautiful picture, and above all a superb effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday DL!!! May the coming year bring many more amazing photo's.
    Now go have a beer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kakeroo! I'll savor that beer later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The playing around was worth it. The photo looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm secretly hoping for a lens for my birthday too. I'll wait until after the magic date to buy one if it doesn't magically appear!

    When is your birthday?

    Nice image manipulation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that I've read the comments, I'm guessing your birthday was yesterday, so Happy Belated Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete