Monday, May 12, 2008

Minnesota, 150 Years of Statehood

Minnesota, located in the midwest; south of Ontario amd Manitoba Canada. This year we celebrate 150 years of statehood. Minnesota was carved out of the eastern half of the Minnesota Territory and admitted to the Union as the 32nd state on May 11, 1858. The state is known as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes"; those lakes and the other waters for which the state is named, together with state and national forests and parks, offer residents and tourists a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities.
Minnesota's state symbols:[119]
State bird: Common Loon
State butterfly:
Monarch
State drink:
Milk
State fish:
Walleye
State flower:
Pink and white lady slipper
State fruit:
Honeycrisp apple
State gemstone:
Lake Superior agate
State grain:
Wild rice
State motto:
L'Étoile du Nord ("The Star of the North")
State muffin:
Blueberry
State mushroom:
Morel
State photograph:
Grace
State song: "
Hail! Minnesota"
State tree:
Red Pine also known as Norway Pine
Nicknames:
"Land of 10,000 Lakes"
"North Star State"
"Gopher State"
"Land of Sky-Blue Waters"
"Bread and Butter State"
"State of Hockey"
For more Wiki-information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota

7 comments:

  1. Now what does Wisconsin think about your state drink being milk? I'd think that would've been theirs. I never gave much thought to visiting MN...too far out of my way...but little by little I'm thinking it's a place I'd like to see. You should be on the payroll of the Chamber :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread and butter state?
    Love to see it all one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative facts! I didn't know there was such a thing as a State Muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is good- I'm not sure I knew alot of these and I live here :) Great post! Have you seen the MN 150 at the Minnesota History Center? That is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh-And State Season: Winter 9 months per year! haha.

    Whats funny about the State Photograph "grace" is I see those in everyones house here, and never knew that fact! I have one myself in my home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, happy anniversary! but why "bread and butter state"?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone.

    About that MN state info stuff. I have mixed feelings bout all that nonesense. Is it really necessary for our state legislators to spend time debating such frivolous matters? Then again, if they keep debating new trivia, we are safe from more legislative harm. Albeit temporary.

    ReplyDelete