Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Wood Pile

Back in September , I posted about my frightening experience with an enormous spider at the wood pile. This past weekend, I once again set out to tackle the task of splitting firewood.
Going back to the wood pile to grab another log to split, I grabbed something soft that started squeaking.I grabbed thing little fellow's wing.
Carefully, I set it back on the woodpile, then covered it with birch bark. The bat was quite lethargic as it was chilly outside; only 44 degrees F, 7 degrees C. I hope he survives. These little creatures devour more mosquitoes than we can swat.
Hmm, another springtime project, building bat houses.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that would have scared me more than the spider! How nice of you to sit him back and cover him up! What a find though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that a BAT!!! well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that is one damn scary spider! I would have screamed like a little kid, too. Yuck. I hate spiders.

    Cool bat, though. Hey, where was s/he when you needed her/him to take care of an arachnid for you?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Une maison pour chauve-souris c'est une bonne idée. Tu nous diras si elle est encore vivante. Personnellement j'ai déjà eut une chauve-souris dans les cheveux, cela fait peur.
    A home for bats is a good idea. You tell us if she is still alive. Personally I have already had a bat in their hair, it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Building a bat house is a great idea. Keep on encougaging the wildlife. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I bet you jumped a bit - I know that I would have! Poor little fella - I hope he'll be okay. I love to see them swooping around the yard eating bugs galore!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a fantastic shot. How envious am I. This in one of those images I wish i'd have taken. You did a great job with both image and taking care of the little fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am afraid I would not have had your composure! What a fascinating shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, bathouse! Build one for me too? :)
    Your photos are stunning, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love bats! I hope he survives the cold.

    ReplyDelete