Thursday, September 17, 2009

Milky Way

Polar Star

Ever tried taking a 1/2 hour photo? Here is my first attempt; 32 minute exposure at f4, 100 ISO, 17mm. It is nearly impossible to set up in the dark and you can not see anything through the viewfinder without a flashlight. It's pretty much guesswork. I missed the North Star behind the trees. Better luck next time. Oh, and with on camera noise control, the camera was set up for nearly an hour.

I am guessing that the lighter area in the sky may have been a passing cloud overhead. Or, perhaps the glow of the Milky Way. I really don't know for sure.

What I find amazing in this image is the color of the stars show up in this long exposure. Stars have a color temperatures. Cool stars emit energy in the red and infrared wavelength and appear reddish in color. Hot stars emit energy in the blue and ultra-violet wavelengths, making them appear blue or white.

More from Wikipedia

18 comments:

  1. idée amusante...résultat surprenant, on dirait un immense trou noir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing shot !! I like it very much ; great experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I love this shot. Its something I have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice!!! And yes, the colors are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a CRAZY photo. I have come across pictures like this, but have never actually found one from someone I know.
    I have a ton of questions I'll hit ya with later. The star colors are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a result!
    The colors are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's marvelous. I'm jealous. I can't even take a decent photo in a fairly well lit room iwth a tripod. I'm tripod challenged.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really cool. I didn't even know such a thing was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed! Coincidentally, I was just reading about how to do this yesterday in a photo magazine! Have never tried it.

    I think you did beautifully. And you put some fire under me so I'm going to try it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cool, the colors, the movement, nice capture

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rob, what a cracker. Wonderful star trail image.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! I did one similar last winter for 12 minutes/ with 12 minutes of noise reduction. Thought I'd freeze, 'cause I did it 3 or 4 times before I really liked it. My wandering clouds were much worse than yours.
    I love to do these, but my silly camera now has several aberrant pixels that just go white if the exposure is over about 30 seconds or a minute. It's like they overheat or something. White dots COULD be mistaken for stars in the black field, except there's only one that sits still for a long exposure (in the Northern hemisphere anyway), so if I do one I have to go through and black out all those pixels. Maybe I should call Sony, but I know what they'd say. Send us the camera and for $350 we'll put new guts in it, no matter what's wrong with it. Since it only happens on those LONG exposures, I think I'll hold out on spending that kind of money until I'm ready for a new camera.
    Yada yada yada, I know, but it's a lovely shot.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is outt-a this world!!! Pun-intended

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really neat. I hope to take the time to do this one night before the weather turns to poo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think we can leave a comment on your newer post!
    It should have been reassuring to have had all this light though...

    ReplyDelete