Monday, September 28, 2009

Checking the List

The List

A bit of a change for me. I typically don't do portraits, only when asked. I feel my photography abilities in portraiture is not up to par. Nor do I have the confidence to approach people and ask is I could take their photograph. Too much pressure to make sure the image is spot on.

However, I took a series of covert photos. Sort of shooting from the hip, literally. I set my camera to ISO 200, leave the lens on wide angle; 17mm. I then change the metering to evaluative and matrix AF Points, and, shudder, I set the camera dial to Program. Yes, the green box on the dial. This is new for me, I typically shoot in Manual mode or Aperture Priority, never Program. But it works in this instance.

I simply hold the camera at about waist level and make a guess about aiming the camera at a subject without raising the camera above waist level. That's right, I don't look through the viewfinder, simply aim and shoot. Sort of Lomography in the happenstance sense. Try it, it's fun. You never really know what you'll end up with.

Monochrome Weekly

13 comments:

  1. "Ok, I can see everything's here!" :-)

    This is definitely different from many other pictures you've posted.

    Nice monochrome!

    - Pixellicious Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool shot. This place reminds me of the Dallas Farmer's Market. I have still never taken a shot in manual mode in my life. :) I will someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried it and the result is sometimes very funny , this shot is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this a lot, both with digital compacts and with 35mm film. I know many people make a habit of asking before shooting. I don't as I prefer the spontaneity of just shooting. The 'green' option works in these circumstances, so why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed...I too am shy about approaching people, not to mention that doing so also loses the "moment"...so have been meaning to do what you've done. Program mode I understand, but not sure I understand how you focus. Do you literally press the shutter half way and pause?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say the results are pretty darn good. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You end up with valid photoreportage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one. The covert shot process works well here. The monochrome is a nice touch as well. This really is a great candid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not bad at all.
    Same thing here. I rarely shoot portraits except when asked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice photograph, and a nifty technique that created it.

    Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have done this before and you're right. You end up with some pretty interesting photos. I really like this one. Let's see more.

    ReplyDelete