Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Soon to be on ebay

Environmentalism, is it working?
My neighbor Mr. MB and I have taken a number of photo walkabouts along the Mississippi River this summer. We both were discouraged and disappointed to find so much trash in the river and along it's banks.

I am amazed by the vast array of trash we see. So much in fact that you can not walk along the river without seeing trash. I have taken up the task of documenting the trash I find. Sadly, after cleaning up the best we can, more trash appears within days and I could fill two 4 gig memory cards worth of trash photos.


Happy Bear Baby Bottle
-
A little scrubbing, a little rinsing, almost good as new. Opening bid for this happy classic will be $25.






Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, this appears fresh. Anyone interested in a scoop of ice cream?

14 comments:

  1. c'est triste, et les gens se servent de la nature comme poubelle ;o((

    ReplyDelete
  2. You managed to make both photos beautiful. But the story is sad nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work! The ice cream photo is very cool, despite the fact that it's trash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool ice cream pail shot! The water looks so enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame that people don't respect their environment.

    Love your photos. No check that -- I'm jealous as hell, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's common problem here in Indonesia. Even some rivers have been shallowed by the overwhelming trashes.
    Anyway I like these lovely photos.
    And thanks for stop by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just in Grand Rapids and stopped by where the river runs through town. Of course it is only 117 miles from Itasca there. It was pretty clean yet at that point.

    Now down near Prescott and Hastings? It scares me just to have the water splash on me....

    Can't imagine New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just amazed by the transparency of the water...
    Not enough rangers to fine people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to say that many people live like pigs, but that would be an insult to pigs...

    We have the same problem in Florida...the trash that comes out of the ocean is incredible...and the trash that one finds on the beaches boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the freegans would be interested in that ice-cream! So sad about all this trash. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. surreal chocolate chip shot. Reminds me of the Bill Evans album cover, undercurrents...I think it is

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job, Dusty. I know it's discouraging but every piece you pick up is one less piece in the river. Maybe when I come home for a visit in September I'll drop by and give you a hand...or a camera : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even more depressing is going to some deserted spot like a remote Scottish island and seeing the same level or more of human plastic junk on the shore. The whole planet is becoming one huge refuse dump.

    ReplyDelete