Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cold War Relic



I wonder how many Fallout Shelters are left and what they are now used for. Oddly enough, this Fallout Shelter sign was spotted on the exterior of a building in the Warehouse District. As we walked by along the sidewalk, I was tempted to enter. But the door was locked. Besides, the Capacity is nil, notta', nothing. What was it exactly that this Fallout Shelter to protect if the Capacity isn't marked? Good thing the Cold War is over otherwise we'd be lined up outside trying to come up with a solution to this capacity dilemma.

12 comments:

  1. The WW II shelters in Europe were certainly needed. Fortunately these ones haven't been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. un reste de l'histoire, peut être faut il demander l'autorisation aux autorités pour le visiter
    a rest of history, can be need it to ask authorities for the approval to visit it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting!
    I like very much the Yoker's picture of the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool picture. That OzzFest sticker is getting pretty old too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so remember this shot !!! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually surprised this is still up on the wall. It's something I don't see much any more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember them so I guess that makes me a relic too? Oh dear!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all seems a long time ago but the fact the sign is still up just shows how recent it all was. Well spotted, it makes a for a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this is where you were hiding out from your wife after running around Minneapolis at night taking photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really resonates with me. Both of the elementary schools I attended in NYC had designated fallout shelter areas, as did a few apartment buildings. Many of the signs are still there after decades of disuse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the Ozzfest sticker fits right in with the fallout shelter sign.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder what the "fallout" would be from hundreds of people trying to cram into a smaller-than-needed space, fleeing from a perceived certainty of otherwise nuclear annihilation? Hmmm!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete