Monday, December 3, 2007

I Found a Hat!


Mary Tyler Moore is an icon of downtown Minneapolis on the Nicollet Mall outside the doors of Dayton's Department Store. Oops, no, Marshall Fields bought Dayton's. Wrong again, it is now Macy's that took over Marshall Fields that bought Dayton's. At any rate, this location on the Nicollet Mall will be forever etched in our minds as Dayton's.

The statue of Mary Tyler Moore outside Dayton's, oops, Macy's, is forever frozen in time tossing her hat into the air on the Mall. During the opening credits of the television series "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", Mary joyously tosses her hat into the air. The show aired in the years 1970 to 1977. See the link below for an actual photo from the show of the famous hat toss. Much has changed on the Mall since then.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:MaryHat.jpg

This just in from Sally in Sydney, Australia. http://sydneynearlydailyphot.blogspot.com/ She was kind enough to give us Mary Tyler Moore's theme song! Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8G0Ikko5I&feature=related

8 comments:

  1. I never liked MTM when I was a child. Now that I am older I love to watch reruns because they are new to me. They used to play on Nick at Night, its been a while. I heard they put up a statue of here. Its in the same spot where the hat throw was filmed? Thats pretty neat, does it get much attention, or is it pretty much ignored?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always a Mary Tyler Moore fan too. That was a classic show with a lot of great characters. My favorite had to be Betty White - no one delivered a better line than her. And she is still acting. Did you see her on Boston Legal a season or two ago?!? She's still got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO happy that someone from Minneapolis FINALLY photographed this statue!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. things change, but great to see people still remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this amusing statue emphasized by the red windows

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a nice statue and it looks so "clean" - I've heard of the show but never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can hear the theme song playing :-)

    ReplyDelete