Monday, January 5, 2009

Pane Siciliano

The Sicilian - Sicilian No Knead Bread

Finally the Holiday blitz is over. Now I have plenty of time for baking artisan breads again. I subscribe to Breadtopia; an excellent online source for bread baking information. This is where I found the recipe and video tutorial for today's bread, Sicilian No Knead bread.
My quest was to find durum flour for this recipe. Semolina, a flour mainly used for pasta, is close, but not the desired mill of flour. All around the Minneapolis metro area I called in search for durum flour without success. My last resort was ordering online from King Arthur Flour. A bit expensive, but necessary.
This bread is simple to bake and I must say, it is quite delicious! I expect this bread will be baked many many times here in the North Metro Easy Bake Bakery.


A couple of things. The dough is more wet and sticky than I am used too, more care in handling is necessary. The aroma is enticing. I broke the cardinal rule of not slicing until cooled to room temperature. That is why the bread appears flattened, squished in this photo. But dang was it so delicious hot off the loaf!

Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/6
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.0
Metering Mode Partial Metering
ISO Speed 200
Focal Length 41.0 mm
Image Quality RAW

17 comments:

  1. My gosh, I applaud you! You can BAKE a perfect loaf BREAD and get a perfect photo of it too! Mouthwateringly good. Looks like a nice hard crust as a real bread should have. I have a very old but run-of-the-mill French cookbook & about many, many years ago have successfully made a French bread & croissants. You may just have inspired me to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. un bon pain chaud (l'odeur est si agréable), cela me donne envie de me refaire un petit déjeuner.
    a good hot bread (the smell is so nice), it gives me desire to do again me to a breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your bread is superb ,i post one one today too but idid not bake it ;) your a great baker !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A slightly warm slice of bread... with a little bit of butter on top or not? Maybe not recommended for Sicilain bread, but I would anyhow be tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THis is making me cry over being allergic to wheat. Wow, that's a pretty loaf of bread!

    I actually have gotten pretty good at baking rice, oat, buckwheat and sorgham flour loaves so all is not lost! I'm going to have to check out breatopia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Sicilian has perfect looks!! I can nearly smell the freshness! Well done!!
    Baking bread is effectively very simple but the result depends on the correct handling of the dough and how much time you let it rest before you put it into the oven.
    Buon appetito!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word this looks mouthwateringly delicious. The photo's great too but I'm a little preoccupied with the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I propose that MN blogger should get together, not to do photography but to have you teach us a thing or two about baking bread!! Mouth-watering photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic bread shot! Blognote is right, we can almost smell it! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've succeeded in making me hungry :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You tryna make us all gain 10 pounds with all this food? haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so delicious! I think it might taste good with what I have for yesterday's photo...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my this looks delicious DL. Care package to Birmingham ASAP!
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yum. I love homemade bread. Fortunately for me there are some good bakeries here, since I am hopeless with yeast...I will check out your link for the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But hot bread smells way too good to leave intil cold to eat. I would probably have eaten it all and there would be nothing to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shot of a great-looking loaf -- I agree sometimes it's almost impossible to resist before it's cooled. (My only objection to this bread is that I love to knead.) And thanks for the reference to Breadtopia. I looked through your earlier bread posts (gorgeous panettone!); the shot of the ruined Gold Medal mill is spectacular, haunting.

    ReplyDelete