Sunday, January 11, 2009

Two Things Challenge - Partial / Whole


Partial Tractor View



Whole Tractor View
-
Which view do you prefer, partial or whole? With the whole view of the tractor, you get to see the entire tractor. No kidding, you say. The big overall picture seen here in the whole view although interesting to see the entire tractor is rather boring. It does not leave anything to your imagination to figure out what the rest of the tractor must look like.

In the partial view, what we see is an enlarged, more detailed shot of the tractor. This partial shot leads the viewer wanting more to see. Details appear larger in a partial view making this type of image much more interesting.
This is one of my photographic goals for this year; concentrating on creating more partial views than whole views.

10 comments:

  1. "Partial" is so well framed that it brought on a cupful of half memories. At some point, in the forgotten life of my childhood, I climbed up on a red tractor. The picture gets at the essence of what that was....to be a kid on a tractor....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find, a beautiful piece of machinery - the red is so...red! I do love the angle of the 'partial' view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Partial and you know that shiny red paintjob if making my heart flutter!
    Wait till Wayne gets a load of this one. He'll swoon.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Partial is more intriguing so I choose that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!!! That is the reddest red thing I have ever seen in my entire life! John Deer is rolling over in his grave right now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the partial view does it for me. Much more interesting and it intensifies the colour.

    I finally joined in with Two Things, anything to get D.C off my back! Lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a pretty good aim for a year. Mind if I take it on board as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob: These are fabulous! I love the colors and how you framed them. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very nice illustration of your point. This idea renders machinery especially photogenic. It's also reminding me of a fantastic painting I missed out on a few years ago of a partial view of a bright green hay baler -- wish I'd bought that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the red/green contrast and the lines in the partial draw me into it. I think all the "other" in the whole is what makes it less appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete