Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bocce or Petanque?


What do you call a fun outdoor game using Bocce Balls and playing in the style of Petanque? Petocce?

The game is competitive and fun; challenging when the yard is uneven full of tree roots, rocks, dips and depressions. The ball in play was difficult to predict which way it would roll from all the natural obstacles. Our remedy was to build our own boule pitch of sorts.
Being a non conformist, I made our court wider, longer, and irregular. Makes for a more challenging game anyway.

Besides, we are not officially playing Bocce nor Petanque. Four yards of sand were spread over the area and boundaries lined with rocks and wood beams. The play is much better, a slower game without the tree root hazards and such.



11 comments:

  1. je vote pour Bocce. Superbe les couleurs sur tes photos.
    I vote for Bocce. Haughtiness colours on your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you call a fun outdoor game using Bocce Balls and playing in the style of Petanque?

    Around here on the Franco-German border, they play boules with metal balls. It is reasonably popular -- one of the few French customs the German Saarbrücker have picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy very much your photos! Thanks for your comments too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never tried the Italian (coloured) version, but I presume that basically the rules are the same as for the pétanque? Metal balls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is also called boules. haven't seen it played with brightly coloured balls before though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen these colourful " boules " So did you win ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fun game for sure. Great close-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Call it whatever you want - as long as you have fun playing! Owning your own "Petocce" court is most impressive. I like the ball closeup shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I used to play Bocce with my grandfather on the grass in the backyard. I don't know what the official rules are, but it sure was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never played either game. I've heard of Bocce but not sure how it is played.

    These make great subjects. Nice images. The top is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete