Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lemon and Basil Sorbet


Sorbetto di limone e basilico
The recent hot and humid weather put us in the mood for something cool and refreshing. We had been enjoying root beer floats, but I wanted something more savory. In my August issue of La Cucina Italiana, I found the perfect recipe to make a refreshing sorbet. The recipe calls for this sorbet to be served on peach wedges. But we didn't have peaches, and I couldn't wait.

2 cups water - 1 cup sugar - 14 fresh basil leaves - 1 lemon.
Cook water and sugar on medium until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a metal bowl adding basil leaves. Stir and let cool to room temperature. When cool, remove basil leaves. grate lemon zest into water/sugar syrup and add 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Chill for several hours. Then add to your ice cram maker. Be sure to follow the directions provided by your ice cream owner's manual.

Enjoy!
this is a refreshing lemony sorbet with a hint of basil. Tomorrow, I make another batch!

15 comments:

  1. I have no ice ceam maker !!! I love basil and lemon , it must be so good !
    I have some problem now scheduling my post ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, but we received a food processor as a wedding gift 30 years ago. I think we may have used it only three times!

    Of possible interest to you, Dusty; see Altadena Hiker's June 23rd blog (Heroines) in comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I would try. Would never try the one with olive oil + vanilla ice cream either after having tasted it once by mistake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting blend of flavors. I have never thought of putting basil in anything liquid other than marinara. :)

    Thanks for the invite to the meet-up tomorrow. I won't be able to make it this time. I would love to join your group someday, keep me posted on future gatherings!

    Facebook has been suggesting you as a friend for me to add lately. I have been mighty tempted but not sure if I want you to see my "wild nights" photos before meeting in person. Hehehehe. Oh that Facebook. So evil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello friend!I came to visit you from Jacob's blog! Congratulations for so deserved "Pixel Perfect Award"!You have a great talent!
    What a nice surprise!Your blog is really amazing!
    This post is sooo yummy! :-))

    Kind regards
    Léia

    peace,purrs and love by Luna(from Brazil)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I don't have an ice making machine but I guess I could try without it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should have started this with:

    "Warning: Don't even bother reading if you are not in easy reach of an ice cream machine. Extreme frustration may ensue."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks yummy! I bet your Twin Cities CDP blogger friends would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So are you bringing some along tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enticing for sure. I don't have the makings for your sorbet, but I shall quickly resort to my spectacular skills at jerry-rigging and eat some Blue Bell out of the carton...I think Pistachio Almond!

    You're welcome re: the award. You really do deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where are you going with Snapshutter ? Why wasn't I invited???
    THe sorbet looks good. I'm not quite sure about the mixture but I'd try it for sure.

    BTW, DO NOT TALK TO ME ABOUT HEAT IN MN! For the love , DL. You cannot compete with us. I have no sympathy.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a refreshing combination of flavors for our hot, humid midwest evenings. You've inspired me to break out the ice cream maker this weekend!

    ReplyDelete