Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Locked Love

Solomon's Song

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500
Av( Aperture Value ) 1.8
Metering Mode Partial Metering
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF50mm f/1.8
Focal Length 50.0 mm

-

I am drawn to simple subjects; locks and chains are one such subject I enjoy shooting. It was by no accident that this lock caught my attention. What was intriguing about the lock that lend many questions is the printing; Vitalya + Liza = S.S.8:6-7. Who are Vitalya and Liza? Why this lock on a bridge railing crossing the Mississippi River in Minneapolis? What does it all mean?

Flashback to Rome, Italy in 2006. Mrs. DL and I were crossing the Tiber River and witnessed a scene of interlocking locks on a chain. We pondered the meaning of these locks without conclusion until I viewed a recent Locks of Love post from Valeria at Verona Daily Photo. Grazie, I now understand this love story of the locks of love back in Roma and now here in Minnesota.

A quick Google search to determine the meaning of S.S.8:6-7 led me to Song of Solomon, Chapter 8 verses 6-7:

6 Set me as a seal upon thine heart,

as a seal upon thine arm:
for love is strong as death;
jealousy is cruel as the grave:
the coals thereof are coals of fire,
which hath a most vehement flame.
7 Many waters cannot quench love,

neither can the floods drown it:
if a man would give all the substance of his house for love,
it would utterly be contemned.

To borrow a line from Paul Harvey; Now you know The Rest of the Story

12 comments:

  1. c'est une nouvelle mode très romantique, la photo est très belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! This has to be the post of the year. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...... that was AWESOME !!!!

    Great Picture, Great Story. I have thought about that every now and again since coming across that lock. This however, brings a whole new realm to everything about it.

    That cloudy, hazy, garbage of a day has turned out to produce some pretty cool pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great research Dusty, and thanks for the story! I followed the links and read the New York Times article about the book & subsequent threat to Italy's infrastructure. An intriguing photo, a good story, a laugh and a biblical love poem; I think you've hit it out of the park today!
    - Mitchster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, fantastic photo Dusty Lens!!
    I am glad that my post was somehow "helpful", thank you for the link, ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for unlocking that one for us. How romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. And in the end, all good things come to Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photo, so clear and crisp, and great post too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I'd never heard of this before. And, I guess the idea is spreading all over the world? It's quite sweet. Great shot too!

    ReplyDelete