Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Baseball at the Mall

Baseball season is almost upon us! A few weeks from now the we'll have the first pitch at the home opener. A sure sign of spring.

Home Plate

Mall of America, (MOA) in Bloomington, MN, the site of our old beloved Met Stadium. Long gone and now a shopper's mecca; here we have a tribute to the exact spot where home plate at the old Met Stadium used to be. This is down in the theme park area that used to be known as Camp Snoopy.

Lone Red Bleacher Seat

520 feet away from the home plate and high above on the back wall near the flume is the lone bleacher seat. The lone bleacher seat marks the spot that the Minnesota Twin's Harmon Killebrew hit his longest home run, 520 feet.

9 comments:

  1. very neat post! i think i'll pass on the 'bird's eye view' seat.. it's very cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I love anything sports related. I would love to stand at home plate. I am not old enough to remember Harmon Killebrew but I remember Rod Carew who stood at that spot quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to MOA a bajillion times and never knew they had these two landmarks inside the mall. Thanks for pointing out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice piece of sports history;-)

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I couldn't see the seat at first but there it is high up on the wall. Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are this current photos? I ask because I walked through the now Nickelodeon Universe this past week and didn't see the home plate marker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew this about the MOA --I'll look for that seat if I ever visit.

    I recently did a blog post about Roovesvelt Field Mall in Long Island, NY that once was the site of early aviation history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I were there last weekend and the seat and the home plate are still there. The sign telling the history is hidden upstairs by the party rooms and ferris wheel. I think they should move it to where everyone could see it.

    ReplyDelete