Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Mississippi Coloringbook

Can you spot the Heron in the Mississippi River?
(Hint, think red)
A rivers edge view of downtown Minneapolis and the Stone Arch Bridge.
Last Saturday evening, I met up with felow Twin cities photographers, Werner (from http://photoblog.twincityphotos.com/ ), Jonathan, Matt, Jessica, and Leng. A few beers at Pracna and a bit of confusion, we were off on our city walkabout photoshoot. A lot of fun bouncing ideas with each other and sharing tips and general photography information. I called it quits at 11:30 PM and headed for the 20 minute drive home.

Exposure: 13 sec - Aperture: f/11 - Focal Length: 38 mm - ISO Speed: 400 - Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV

Here the Heron stands in the red light.

Werner spotted this Heron in the red light. Thanks, Werner, this shot is for you. This photo was difficult to shoot as it was dark, thus the long exposure. And auto focus does not work in the dark. I had to manually focus this shot. I should add, the red light is from the neon GOLD MEDAL FLOUR sign. The sign blinks on and off. Timing for focusing and snapping this photo was difficult at best.


Exposure: 13 sec - Aperture: f/5.6 -Focal Length: 300 mm - ISO Speed: 800 - Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV

16 comments:

  1. difficult, but the result is awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the Heron on the top pic. Great skyline, water, bridge...everything. Awesome shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What a fantastic job you did capturing this! VERY Impressive!!
    And one of my favorite birds, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did find it :-) What a fantastic shot...and I do appreciate the difficulty of it...even if the light wasn't blinking, let alone with it! Your town is so much more attractive than I ever knew...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I really like how well the Heron picture turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. deux superbes photos, mais la photo de l'ombre du héron est magnifique.

    two superb photos, but the photo of the shadow of heron is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. D.L.,
    Two great shots. Thanks for sharing the how to's as well. It must be fun to go out with a group of knowledgeable folks and photograph like that. I think these two are prizewinners!]
    PS Notice that my psychiatric medication has kicked in and I have calmed down since yesterday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A VERY amazing shot, Mister Dusty Lens. So sorry I missed you guys. I signed up on the message board so next time I can know sooner! :)

    Love both shots, but the Heron is extraordinary. Perfect. Frame and Hang somewhere prominant!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, they are both great! I especilly like the downtown skyline with Heron. I think you should enter it at the State Fair. (I don't know how that works or what it would take to do that, but it is worthy).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two excellent shots! The colours on the water are so vivid. Your timing was spot on. Did you use a tripod?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both amazing shots and even more so considering the challenges you faced! I spotted the heron even before reading the hint. A "Where's Waldo" type shot. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you posted the Heron. You forgot to mention switching lenses between the two photos, the Heron moving out of the light so we had to find him again and you having to move your tripod, and then the Heron getting a bit fidgety after previously being motionless for a long time (maybe he spotted a big orange eye staring at him from the shore). Knowing your equipment, having a knack for composition, and a bit of perserverance all came into play on this shot. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dusty,
    You can officially quit your day job! You've taken a ton of amazing photos but this one(Mpls Skyline) is my favorite! I would love to have a copy of this one blown up and framed for my office, or perhaps a photo of two dollies playing beach volleyball... Either way, my birthday is coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, now I am even more impressed. Of course, animals make terrible models since they are so fidgety! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! Both of these are fabulous pictures! Absolutely gorgeous. And that heron is just too, too perfect. I love it when stuff like this happens while out and about taking seemingly random pictures!

    ReplyDelete