Saturday, September 20, 2008

Misty Waters


Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories...
OK, that's about enough sap for me. How about you? Teary eyed, yet? I know I am, I'm not a big fan of Barbra Streisand, not a fan at all. It's a nails on chalkboard thing.

Anyhoo, I typically type what pops into my head. And while I was photoshopping this photo into black and white, for some crazy reason, Baba's tune "The Way We Were" popped into my head. Must have been the memories of summer at the lake. Memories of summer that is turning to autumn. Misty colored memories of this past season of the way we were.

Here I was messing around with both the ND2 and ND4 filters stacked onto my lens in the bright morning light. I wanted to lengthen the exposure. A fast shutter speed would have stopped the wave action crashing into the rocks. With this longer exposure, I created a misty look that adds interest to this otherwise unimpressive composition. The longer exposure gives a sense of emotion, don't you think?

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 4
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
ISO Speed 200
Focal Length 56.0 mm
Image Quality RAW
White Balance Mode Daylight
Photoshop conversion to black and white

6 comments:

  1. You have certainly created a special atmosphere!!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you are in trouble with me for putting that song into my brain where it is now endlessly repeating... grrr....

    But what a photo today, Dusty. I love your choices from the exposure creating that otherworldly swirl of water to the high contrast mono making the textures pop out like 3D. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up early to get my boarding pass on SW Airlines and already got a chuckle out of the day what with your singing :-) I used to love Barbra but now less and less each year. Not sure why...just tired of her I guess. Anyway, nice effect in this shot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I think is you had too many of yesterday's margaritas and that's why you're singing Barbra Streisand songs this early! I do however agree that the effect works on this photo if it's as mundane as you claim it was. Are your photos ever mundane?? I think not. I going to go give Jimmy Buffet one more hit before you take that player off. Don't forget I want to know where you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've crated an excellent photo here. I'll even let you off for the song choice! lol :)

    ReplyDelete