Sunday, September 21, 2008

Two Things Challenge - Product / Label

Gold Medal Flour is the flour of choice for many of us local bakers. Gold Medal Flour is a label I look for and a product I use for baking the artisan style breads I have posted here before.

If you are interested in baking, check out the links below.
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/questions_and_answers/bread_questions/ingredients/
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/

My Cardamom Braids, similar to my Grandmother's recipe, made with...you guessed it, Gold Medal flour. Almost like my Grandmother used to bake. Almost, but not quite. She had no formal recipe, it was all in her head. A few scoops of flour, a pinch of this, a dash of that. And somehow her cardamom bread was fantastic. I do need work on my braiding skills.



Another Minneapolis icon on the Mississippi River is the Gold medal Flour mill. Now it is in ruins, devastated from a fire. This is the red sign seen on the header page up top. Except shown above, this sign is off, the backside sign is illuminated and reflecting in the river.

This week's 2 Thing's Challenge is Product / Label brings us to the Hennepin Ave Bridge where this sign can be seen. Of course I have used this image from a similar shot back on January 31. This billboard has been standing here since 1940 in honor of the beer that was brewed here.

Why am I repeating this image? Three reasons;
1. I enjoy this icon of Minneapolis.
2. I really enjoy the colors.
3. After this ongoing media circus behind the real American Idol two years of un-ending hot air election campaigning nonsense, I'm going to need this product. 44 days left of this tiresome blitz, I don't think there is enough beer to ease the pain.
-
For more information about 2 Things Challenge;

13 comments:

  1. I am speechless - you've so dazzled me with this post! I recognized the label right away...& then the amazing product...& the amazing factory photos. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and pass the beer, my brother.

    Gorgeous shots -- especially that factory photo. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we had a buffet ( not to be confused with Jimmy) of fabulous photos today! Like Laurie, the factory photo is wonderful. Media circus? politicians? hot air? I'm scrolling down to Friday and have another margarita to help me hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we had a buffet ( not to be confused with Jimmy) of fabulous photos today! Like Laurie, the factory photo is wonderful. Media circus? politicians? hot air? I'm scrolling down to Friday and have another margarita to help me hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful theme to publish in photos! You selected some timeless icon images...great choices. Beer?! Try something stronger, "my friend". It is not only tiresome but very depressing. I abhor the amount of $ both candidates are spending on their campaign. And, the state of our country...scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can almost smell the bread coming out of the oven. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....they look so YUMMY! Fabulous post! I can't wait until these 44 days are over!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these pictures are great! I especially like your braided bread. Looks to me like you braid well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great shots. I baked with Gold Medal when I lived in the northeast. Down south, White Lily is king - it's a softer flour, better for the biscuits and quickbreads popular here.
    I've turned off my TV for the duration, and am having a shot of Jack Daniels, neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm sorry that I havn't visited you earlier. well, I've been here before but couldn't load your site on dial up:) I have switched to BB and ofcourse I can now load your pages!
    Love your 2things entry and explaination. Your photos are great and your bread looks perfect to me. I can almost smell it:)
    I'm gluten free so couldn't actually eat it though:) I wil have to come back and check out the rest of your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, next time we have you over, you bring the bread! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that your braiding skills are top knotch:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure would like to try some of that bread. It looks awesome, and I'm hungry! Why am I not surprised you have a beer label? ;-)

    ReplyDelete