Sunday, July 13, 2008

Two Things Challenge - Litter / Bug


Litter, disgusting litter in and around the pond next to Champlin's pedestrian bridge.








Lake Vermilion Mayfly

The hatch is on! The best time to be on the lake is just before and during the major hatch of the mayfly, or Ephemeroptera. The walleyes become ravenous during the hatch, feeding exclusively on this winged delicacy in larval state. The right tactic and location is key to catching walleyes during the hatch. Last weekend was no exception, with too many large walleyes caught in the slot limit of 17 to 26 inches of length. These walleyes must be returned back to the lake immediately. We caught walleyes mid day, in bright sunny on the bottom, 20 feet down. Within two weeks after the hatch, the walleyes are stuffed, unwilling to be caught for the next few weeks after the mayfly hatch. Know your bugs when walleye fishing. ;-) These bugs litter the lake, shore, buildings, roads, etc.

Exposure: 0.05 sec (1/20)
Aperture: f/4
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 100


To learn more about this challenge, please visit, 2 Things Weekly Challenge

7 comments:

  1. Never have understood how people can litter the landscape. I just don't get it...not at all. Cute little bug...a new one to me. A very well done two-fer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting photos today. Littering = idiots. Mayflies= happy walleyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photos, Rob! I'm so glad you participated. I was worried it was just me and Maya this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots! I just don't understand how hard it is to find a trash can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There must be something in the water. I did my own rant about litter yesterday. The bug is beautiful, the litter isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome bug! Scary litter. I took a few shots of litter, but was never happy with the results. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rented a boat on Dale Hollow lake a few years ago and seen one of these bugs. It was so weird, I'd hoped I discovered a new species, lol! I took a pic and just this afternoon had visited a museum where I FINALLY found out what this sucker was called! Very neat bug!

    ReplyDelete