Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yellow Deere

Sarah requested I provide the original photo as an example as to what it looked like.
This first image is the original photo shot metered to what the camera metered to be correct. But the parking lot is too washed out, too bright, the chinks of blacktop in the foreground are too dark as are the trees in the background. Also, the scrapes and scratches on the bucket are not very visible. Not an interesting photo lightingwise. Well, actually, compositionwise, it's not a great photo in the first place.
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/50 - Autoexposure Bracketing 0

This photo is metered for the parking lot. The lot is no longer washed out, but everything is too dark.

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200 - Autoexposure Bracketing -2

This photo everything is overly bright. Except for the edges of the crumbled blacktop in the foreground. The camera metered these areas well.

At the bottom of this post is the merged combination of the three photos. The process brought out the details of the scrapes in the bucket and grease and detail of the pi in the linkage. Which is what I was after in this photo in the first place. Again, the composition of this image is rather mediocre.

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/13 - Autoexposure Bracketing +2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toys I wish I could play with. Landscape work at the office.
Two examples of HDR, a third way is scheduled to post on Saturday. The first example is a classic HDR image over saturated and over tone mapped to create this all too bright unrealistic image that looks pretty interesting, but wears on some viewers. But this is a hoot to manipulate.
The second below is the realistic approach where details are emphasized in the dark areas. More pleasing to the eye in my opinion.
Cartoonwerks
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/50 - Autoexposure Bracketing 0
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200 - Autoexposure Bracketing -2
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/13 - Autoexposure Bracketing +2
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
ISO Speed 100
Focal Length 26.0 mm

Realism at it's best.

Shooting Mode Manual Exposure

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60 - Autoexposure Bracketing 0

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250 - Autoexposure Bracketing -2

Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/15 - Autoexposure Bracketing +2

Av( Aperture Value ) 7.1

ISO Speed 100

Focal Length 26.0 mm



8 comments:

  1. I certainly like the second one more! I always feel HDR has a time and a place in images..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't get HDR. Perhaps there'll be a time when I feel differently, but so far have seen nothing I like using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the second one :)

    Would you be able to do a post of what the images look like before you do HDR? I want to try HDR but not sure if I can do much with just a point and shoot. Maybe I can try with my b/w negatives that I do bracketing in? Can you do HDR in b/w? So many questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am voting for the real deal. Not a huge fan of oversaturation, but I have some Photoshop buddies that can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm leaning toward the realism, but the HDR photo has its merits, too. There is definitely something otherworldly about it, that's for sure.

    And, one more reason why I should get Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love the detail in that second shot. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back looking at the 4 photos of the scooper. That overexposed, washed out one? Why that looks like most of mine, unless however they are black! HDR is a looong way off for moi.

    ReplyDelete