Friday, February 1, 2008

When People Think of My City


"When People Think of My City...:"

Actually, I really don't know what people think of when they think of Minneapolis. Well, besides cold, snow, and ice during the winter. We have that miserable Dome for our football and baseball teams. The Foshay Tower, Mary Tyler Moore statue on Nicolet Mall. Minneapolis is a city of lakes; yet they are frozen over with ice right now. There is too much to decide upon.

My fellow Twin Citian Bloggers will no doubt come up with excellent examples of what people think of our Cities. I decided to leave winter behind and flashback to summer. Shown here is an icon of Minneapolis as you cross into "nordeast" over the Hennepin Ave Bridge.

The billboard was errected in 1940 and used to light each night flashing GRAIN BELT BEER. Sadly, the lights are now turned off. Grain Belt beer was first brewed in 1893 by Minneapolis Brewing Company until 1976. In 2002, Scell Brewery in New Ulm Minnesota took over Grain Belt with their Premium and Premium Light brews.

So, next time you see a Grain Belt Premium or Grain Belt Premium Light, you will now think of Minneapolis and this cool billboard, or perhaps New Ulm, Minnesota.

Stop by and visit the participants in Theme Day:

Portland (OR), USA - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Memphis (Tennessee), USA - Manila, Philippines - San Diego (CA), USA - Anderson (SC), USA - New York City (NY), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Mexico City, Mexico - San Francisco (CA), USA - Mumbai (Maharashtra), India - Mainz, Germany - Weston (FL), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Turin, Italy - Las Vegas (NV), USA - Hobart (Tasmania), Australia - Bicheno, Australia - Durban, South Africa - Joplin (MO), USA - Nashville (TN), USA - Stockholm, Sweden - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Brussels, Belgium - Chicago (IL), USA - Montpellier, France - Seattle (WA), USA - Mazatlan, Mexico - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Sesimbra, Portugal - Toulouse, France - Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina - Susanville (CA), USA - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Prague, Czech Republic - Helsinki, Finland - Pilisvörösvár, Hungary - Lisbon, Portugal - Mexico (DF), Mexico - Trujillo, Peru - Dunedin (FL), USA - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - London, UK - Baziège, France - Jefferson City (MO), USA - Greenville (SC), USA - Selma (AL), USA - Mumbai, India - Naples (FL), USA - Norwich (Norfolk), UK - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Setúbal, Portugal - Stayton (OR), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Sofia, Bulgaria - Arradon, France - Montego Bay, Jamaica - Athens, Greece - Austin (TX), USA - Singapore, Singapore - West Sacramento (CA), USA - Jackson (MS), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Budapest, Hungary - Rotterdam, Netherlands - St Malo, France - Chandler (AZ), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Port Vila, Vanuatu - Cleveland (OH), USA - Nottingham, UK - Kansas City (MO), USA - The Hague, Netherlands - Crystal Lake (IL), USA - Wrocław, Poland - Chateaubriant, France - Cheltenham, UK - Moscow, Russia - Monrovia (CA), USA - Saigon, Vietnam - Toruń, Poland - Grenoble, France - Lisbon, Portugal - New Orleans (LA), USA - Sydney, Australia - Boston (MA), USA - American Fork (UT), USA - Boston (MA), USA - Montréal (QC), Canada - Wichita (KS), USA - Radonvilliers, France - Buenos Aires, Argentina - Christchurch, New Zealand - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Wailea (HI), USA - Aliso Viejo (CA), USA - St Francis, South Africa - Port Elizabeth, South Africa - Seattle (WA), USA - Pasadena (CA), USA - Vienna, Austria - Orlando (FL), USA - Torun, Poland - Delta (CO), USA - Santa Fe (NM), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Haninge, Sweden - Paris, France - Stavanger, Norway - Niamey, Niger - Le Guilvinec, France - Bogor, Indonesia - Saarbrücken, Germany - Auckland, New Zealand - Wellington, New Zealand - Budapest, Hungary - Juneau (AK), USA - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Glasgow, Scotland - Chicago (IL), USA - Jakarta, Indonesia - Adelaide (SA), Australia - Sydney, Australia - Riga, Latvia - Subang Jaya (Selangor), Malaysia - Terrell (TX), USA - Terrell (TX), USA - Inverness (IL), USA

22 comments:

  1. Well, you've got close to one of mine...and I have been to Minneapolis (it was spring and not cold), and I know the Mississippi is there, but when I hear "Minneapolis" a tune immediately starts in my head...

    Who can turn the world on with her smile?
    Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
    Well it's you girl, and you should know it
    With each glance and every little movement you show it

    Love is all around, no need to waste it
    You can have a town, why don't you take it
    You're gonna make it after all
    You're gonna make it after all


    How will you make it on your own?
    This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
    But it's time you started living
    It's time you let someone else do some giving

    Love is all around, no need to waste it
    You can have a town, why don't you take it
    You're gonna make it after all
    You're gonna make it after all

    and I mentally throw my hat in the air....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql8G0Ikko5I&feature=related

    I never knew there was a statue! I saw a quick flash of it in the above montage - with hat in air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You too I see found it hard to select just one photo of your city. All of your examples come to mind. I'd throw in First Avenue with Prince.

    And you may find this strange, but Former Mayor Sharon Sayles Belton introducing Eric Clapton as Eric Clapner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great old sign, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously so many choices for your city and I can see how this one is iconic! Like the shot and angle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. je ne savais pas que Minneapolis était connu pour sa bière.
    Bon Weekend et Go Giants.....j'espere que tu vas supporter les Giants
    I did not know that Minneapolis was known for its beer.
    Good Weekend and Go Giants.
    I hope you will bear the Giants

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first thought of the bridge, and your photo did not disappoint, it's a beauty. The grain belt beer is a nice addition. Good fun and certainly closer to the locals' everyday life LOL !

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right--the choices are numerous for Msp. Nathalie's comments made me laugh; the locals have it every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From now on, if I see that brand of beer, I will think of Minneapolis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've seen that brand of beer before, but I see that there's a light version so I'll be sure to give it a try if/when I spot it at the store. I like the sign a lot, it's like a giant stop sign only much more interesting!

    Have a nice theme day, DL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now if it was a bottle I could get excite, but a top ? After someone else has drunk the beer? I don't think so ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I have a beer tonight I'll think of you (even though it'll be Bud!!) Good post choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think of Mary Tyler Moore and more recently, the bridge disaster....I like your choice today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your choice. Lived in Mpls for two or three years and I am not sure what I would pick. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always have the most interesting photos!

    I, too, think of the opening of Mary Tyler Moore's show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely an icon! Nice shot too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pic. Isnt the Mall of America there?

    ReplyDelete
  18. How interesting. I'd find it difficult to pick a photo of my city.
    Pat

    Guelph Daily Photo, My Photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An interesting icon of your city! Wasnt sure of what will I think *sigh* but thanks now I know what Minneapolis is associated with. Good day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting choice.

    Not that it matters, but when I think of Minneapolis/St. Paul, I think of Target or MSP and the great shops in that airport. Shallow, I know.

    ReplyDelete