Monday, October 13, 2008

Autumn Leaves


Autumn, a season of change from summer to winter. A season of vivid colors and cooler weather. A season of damp forest aromas of decaying leaves mingling and soft scents of pine as quiet echos sing across the lake. A time to reflect upon the year's memories as we prepare for long winter nights. Autumn is nature's last triumph before we descend into the dead of winter.

-
Thanks to Virginia at Birmingham Alabama Daily Photo for this music inspiration.

-

Les Feuilles Mortes (Autumn Leaves) - Andrea Bocelli

"AUTUMN LEAVES" (Les Feuilles Mortes)
by Jospeh Kosma and Jacques Prévert (French)/Johnny Mercer (English)
The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold.
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song.
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall.
English Translation of Jacques Prévert’s Poem: The Dead Leaves
Oh I wish so much you would remember
those happy days when we were friends.
Life in those times was so much brighter
and the sun was hotter than today.
Dead leaves picked up by the shovelful.
You see, I have not forgotten.
Dead leaves picked up by the shovelful,
memories and regrets also,
and the North wind carries them away
into the cold night of oblivion.
You see, I have not forgotten
the song that you sang for me:
It is a song resembling us.
We lived together, the both of us,
you who loved me
and I who loved you.
But life drives apart those who love
ever so softly
without a noise
and the sea erases from the sand
the steps of lovers gone their ways.

18 comments:

  1. I love the light in the tips of the trees echoing the light in the distance. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. superbe photo, la lumiere est très belle et superbement accompagné par le poème de Prévert.
    superb picture, the light is very beautiful and superbly accompanied by the poem by Prevert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song, "les feuilles mortes", and your photo is beautifully composed.

    I've gone back to your previous posts (I hadn't visited for a while) and loved all your autumn shots. The setting moon with stars coming out was just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been singing Autumn Leaves ALL WEEK. I can't get that song out of my head! I've had the Nat King Cole version running in a loop; it's a good thing I like that song and this time of year, or I'd really be in trouble! The Andrea Bocelli version is very nice, too. I'm off to iTunes to find a copy.

    Beautiful picture, too, Rob. Love those aspens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent photography. great light

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo; inviting. And I too am now singing/humming Les Feuilles Mortes...

    Drop in to "see" me in Belgrade sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colours as allways! Your previous Old and New post is just fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh DL, This is lovely and I am just enjoying Andrea singing my favorite of his. If I can't play it I am so glad you can. May I stop by all day and listen again and again? Your photo is the perfect partner to this song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the border of bright orange along the back of the photo. NICE !
    Its literally "raining" leaves in the front yard here today!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. picture postcard perfect! what colors

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful immage accompanied by "Les Feuilles Mortes!!
    We still benefit by the warm air coming in our direction from Africa wih temperatures reaching 20° Celsius and in other parts of Italy 29°..!
    I also like Winter, though but from a photographer's point a view, especially when mist is hanging over the lake turning leafless trees into spectral shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great Autumn shot... bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shot. It looks like there is a fire on the horizon with will those gold and red colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The firey warm tones are my favourite autumn colours but to pitch them next to cool greys are the birch is intriguing. Superbly done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a good friend whose band does an absolutely amazing rendition of Autumn Leaves. Great tune, and great pictures! Thanks for hitting my dutch oven blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks to Birmingham Virginia for sending me/us here. Beautiful photos - beautiful music!

    ReplyDelete